The Michigan Department of Agriculture and Rural Development announced a public input opportunity for the Michigan Specialty Crop Block Grant Program. The deadline for comments is 5:00 p.m. on Friday, December 11, 2020.
The MDARD Specialty Crop Block Grant Program awards funds to projects to enhance the competitiveness of Michigan specialty crops. Specialty crops include fruits and vegetables, tree nuts, dried fruits, horticulture, and nursery crops (including floriculture).
Last year, funding priorities were focused on the following:
- Market enhancement to promote specialty crops
- Market expansion, availability, and access to specialty crops
- Farm to institution
- Research and development relevant to specialty crops
- Plant health and pest management
- Farm sustainability
- Training and education addressing local, regional, and national challenges confronting specialty crop producers
- Enhancing food safety
- Environmental sustainability
Comments regarding the 2021 Specialty Crop Block Grant priorities must be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org by 5:00 p.m. on Friday, December 11, 2020. Comments received will be considered when developing final program priorities for 2021. The 2021 grant round will be announced in January 2021.
For more information about Michigan’s Specialty Crop Block Grants, visit www.michigan.gov/mdardgrants.